2013年5月20日 星期一

Speaking: The Hero ( in-class task)

I did not want to go.
They inducted me.

I did not want to die.
They called me yellow.

I tried to run away.
They courtmartialed me.

I did not shoot.
They said I had no guts.

I cried in pain.
They carried me to safety.
In safety I died.
They blew taps over me.
They crossed out my name
And buried me under a cross.
They made a speech in my home town.
I was unable to call them liars.
They said I gave my life.
I had struggled to keep it.
They said I set an example
I had tried to run.
They said they were proud of me.
I had been ashamed of them.
They said my mother should be proud.
My mother cried.
I wanted to live.
They called me a coward.
I died a coward.
They called me a hero.

by Felix Pollak
( Link: http://www.wagingpeace.org/menu/issues/peace-&-war/peace-poems.htm#8)

The reason why I chose this poem is because it remind me of the sence of Pearl Harbor. No one wanted to  join the fight (the soldiers) but had no choice to leave their hometwon and some came home safely after the war, but some, (they call " hero") the person who die in the war  for the nation and peace. Therefore this poem is moving and touching when I read it.

沒有留言:

張貼留言